Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Review #1

The Barefoot Queen

I had no idea what this book would be like when I got it and quite frankly it was not my favorite.
This is a story from the view of a freed Cuban slave and her best friend who is a gypsy set in the 1700's and the book was slow going. I had a hard time connecting with the characters and the goings on.
I can see how this story would appeal to some, but for my taste it was a bit too dark with it containing many scenes of abuse towards the women in this book. The way the abuse and violence was written was in a very casual manner and that just ruined the book for me.
The Barefoot Queen is definitely written very well-just suited to a mature audience and one who doesn't mind reading graphic portrayals of that type of scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment